Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Statuesque


Public Square 2006, a late Friday afternoon. I sat on a low wall near the bus shelters on the northwest quadrant and talked with RTA riders while I snapped with surprising audacity. Normally I'm quite shy about the whole process, which is why there are more buildings and signs than people in my pictures.

Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC (chrome model), 50mm lens, which I got for $50 at Ohio Camera on Madison Avenue in Lakewood, now closed. It was a dark warren of old equipment, accessories and strange photographic devices, many of which were completely obsolete. I'd gone in search of a take-up spool for my other Contaflex and came away with the whole camera, which was in the case, on consignment. The owner showed me a late 1930s Leica III with a set of screw-mount lenses he'd had and used for years, and was willing to sell. I hesitated, and the golden moment passed.

I hear Van's camera store on East 9th downtown is closing too. I wonder if they have any 532 3v batteries languishing in a back room? My recent thrift score, a Polaroid 350, is waiting for two of them so it can begin working.

No comments: